Well hello there , happy Monday!
Here’s to a last summer hurrah (or you know, in my case, hurrying up to post all my summery looks before I end up posting spaghetti straps on Halloween. My success odds are not looking good.)
So I will let you into a little secret: coming up with cool things to wear takes a level of patience and dressing ability I am only hoping to ever come close to asymptotically (I’ve been brushing up on my algebra, ha-ha!) It is strange, really. I do NOT like brainstorming outfits. I almost never come up with anything good under pressure. I also tend to imagine everything I ever wear in black, and I am a card carrying member of the “I don’t have anything to wear” club. I am coming to terms with my own style, but I also absolutely refuse to be put in a box, so I am very prone to sartorial rebellion. Like- I will wear a yellow dress just to tell myself I can, even though I honestly could live with a black, red and Ankara closet. Oh- and denim.
What I am good at, however, is merging information in my head to create looks I would actually want to wear. I am great at reworking outfits around, adding and subtracting items, and overall playing with looks to make them work for my body shape, level of sassiness, mood, etc. That means that I get a lot of inspiration from other people, Instagram, Pinterest (follow me while you’re at it 🙂 ), magazines and just people on the street. Which brings us to this outfit- which I actually did not rework much, but totally ripped off someone 🙂
My former classmate R.T. wore a different color of this dress a few months ago and I lost my mind. First of all she’s gorgeous and has amazing taste, but I immediately fell in love with it and had to have it. I put off looking for it for a few weeks… and BAM my Instagram friend Tiff wore it during her honeymoon in Greece and THAT WAS IT. I texted her (when she was still in Greece, mind you), got the link and bought it in blue. Done.
I was actually on my way to Hawaii, and I wore it to my first Luau a few days later. When I tell you I was feelin’ myself! By then, I had toyed around with the idea of this blog in my mind, and I recall thinking the dress would be a cute look to photograph. Well here we are, 3 months later!
What I am wearing: Dress: here, Sz Large, Print 61189-2 (R.T.’s is 61214-4 Print) ; Shoes: Ross sandals, similar-ish ones here; belt here; Rings- a mix of Forever 21, these, gifts and wedding rings.
Sooo let’s talk about that dress shall we?
- It is made out of scuba-ish fabric. A lot of people dislike that material, but I don’t mind it- I mean it is not stellar but it is also not the worst fabric in the world.
- It is pretty opaque, so that’s good.
- It is a tad clingy, so watch your undergarments if you decide to give it a shot 🙂
- The colors are very bright in real life, which is exciting.
Upon wearing it:
- The sizing is pretty accurate. I could stand to go a size smaller, but the dress would no longer be long enough for me (I am 5″11.) I actually wish it was a few inches longer, so I could wear it with heels. This is a flats only dress for me, unfortunately; if you are tall, this would limit styling options.
- I have a 36″ chest, 29.75″ waist (I just got under 30 so I WILL WRITE EVERY DECIMAL THANK YOU VERY MUCH) and 43 hips; the size large is comfortable and has some room to spare, but the armholes are a bit large. I felt the need to belt it for the shoot because it was a bit loose around my midsection and I wanted a more cinched look.
- The off the shoulder part does not ride up and stays in place.
- It feels breathable, but I also never wore it in super hot weather.
Overall I love wearing this dress. The shoot was the 2nd or 3rd time I wore it, and it’s holding up decently. It’s a bright fun dress, and I had a blast wearing it on vacation. Super cool summer purchase (I would totally wear this in January too but that’s just me), and just a fun flirty dress.
I also generally like maxi dresses because they are so easy: all the matching is done for you, they are flattering, usually drape well when applicable, and are just a lazy girl’s summer staple. Plus, you can show some skin with shoulder baring ones, open back ones, deep plunge ones, sheer ones… It’s just up to how fierce you are feeling that day, really.
Don’t forget, this post is a collab with my bae @dorothy.abigail; stop by her Insta and show her some love! Did you see how she murdered that sundress? She is just too fabulous.
So that’s it for today! Like my post and share it if you enjoyed it, drop me a line if you have any questions, and kick this week’s butt! See you in a couple of days!